Friday 11 August 2017

Botaurus Stella








On the way back from Kings Lynn, we diverted to Lakenheath Fen, not expecting to find much on the reserve.  In the visitor centre they told us that a bittern was showing well outside the Mere Hide, where I saw one on 1st June.  There was nothing else about, apart from a few pigeons, not on the water, in the trees or in the air.  Some birders confirmed that the bittern was still parading, so I made my way to the hide.  At 12.02 I saw this tiger of the reeds emerge from a lurking position, and called Ann, who was photographing spiders.  The bird was visible, catching tiny silver fish, until 12.28, and Ann was able to get lots of pix.  I took nearly 300, and only 3 were not in focus, as the bird was only about twenty metres away. On the way out we saw not a single bird.  

No comments:

Post a Comment